AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Fall of Troy - Doppelganger Album Cover

The Fall of Troy - Doppelganger

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Fall of Troy Doppelganger
Release Date: August 16, 2005
Record Label: Equal Vision Records

Talk about an album that had high expectations. The Fall of Troy’s current fans have been anxiously awaiting a full album that had decent production, one that truly showcased the insane talent that lead singer/guitarist Thomas Erak possesses. Others were dying to hear old FOT songs re-recorded. Finally that day came with the release of Doppelganger. With 4 songs from their first full length and 3 previous demos, the album contains a lot of the band’s previous work. That leaves only 4 brand new songs, but fortunately they are some of the strongest on the record. Despite all these songs coming from the past 4 years of the band’s existence, they are put together and produced in a cohesive manner. For those of you who are not familiar with The Fall of Troy, imagine The Mars Volta, The Blood Brothers, and The Locust getting thrown into a blender with a dash of pop. Out comes a completely insane mix of solo-ridden, technical, breakneck metal, with screeching screams, sassy melodies, and some of the best musicianship around.

It’s hard to believe that The Fall of Troy is only a three piece, but that is indeed the case. The album launches into gear from the very start, with rolling bass lines settling underneath the first of many intricate guitar solos from Erak. There aren’t many bands around anymore who can pull of singing mixed with screaming, but The Fall of Troy manages to do it perfectly (especially with some of the older material) while still sounding completely chaotic and unpredictable. “The Hol[ ]y Tape” transitions from a more dance oriented beat to stuttering ascending guitar riffs with staggered downbeats. This style becomes commonplace throughout the record, as The Fall of Troy has a gift for mixing just the right amount of melody with chaos. The album never gets too hard to stomach for me, nor does it ever become cheesy and predictable.

The new versions of “Laces Out, Dan” and “Tom Waits” are awesome, especially the latter. The band chose to make the bass line different from the main guitar riffs, which brings out the nuts guitar solos. The vocals are a bit sassier than the previous versions as well, which is always fun. Other songs, like “Macaulay McCulkin” and “Mouths like Sidewinder Missiles” bring on the urge to start dancing while starting a riot in the streets. There are very few bands that can bring on desires to punch holes in the wall and perform shoulder dusts at the same time.

Make no doubt about it, this is an outstanding record that deserves all the attention it will receive. The only thing holding this album back is the unavoidable fact that over half of these songs are old. Since I’ve been a fan for a while, I was kind of bummed to see so many old songs remade. Don’t get me wrong, they sound awesome, but for a full-length, some more new material would have been nice. The production is great on the album, it keeps with past FOT album production styles. Guitars in the forefront, vocals a bit spacey and with some echo, and pronounced bass lines. If I had one complaint about it, it would be that that drum triggers came out a bit muddled for my taste. Other than that, there are no major flaws for this record. If you ever have a chance, do not miss this band live. Thomas is one of the most talented guitar players I have ever seen live, and he puts on quite a show. For their Equal Vision Records debut, The Fall of Troy has done quite well. If you haven’t checked out their unique brand of progressive metal, then do so today.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
03:45 PM on 12/26/05
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Amazing album, very good, thorough review
01:22 PM on 12/27/05
alexwohl29_90
Wohlverine
User Info.
Tell them to schedule Detroit

and this album blows me away
10:31 AM on 12/28/05
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
This band is going to do amazing things.
03:07 PM on 03/27/06
amandag
User Info.
if i could marry a cd...it would be this one
09:00 AM on 11/11/06
xnovemberxx
Chasing Suns
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this review was perfect.
this is one of the best CD's i have ever heard.
07:48 PM on 12/24/06
Darkgem187
User Info.
This Cd is amazing and the review was great.
08:26 PM on 01/01/07
OhYuhImFierce
User Info.
Fucking incredible album, and you are absolutely correct, Thomas Erak is INSANE live. His ability to shred his way up the fretboard while screaming his head off is a pretty amazing talent to witness.

But if you like this album, then I would go snag their first, self-titled one (which was recently re-released), because, even in spite of the lackluster production, I still consider that album to be superior to Doppelganger. I'm not into the screechy screaming that Thom likes to do on this one, and I think some of his best riffs were on the first one.

Also, if you're really feeling ambitious, then you can scour LimeWire for The Fall Of Troy's Ghostship Demos. I'd recommend Ghostship Part IV or Part V, but all of them are fantastic. I've heard rumor of the boys releasing the demos on an EP or possibly their next album, and that would be pretty B.A., but that's likely just bullshit made up by some over-excited 12 year-olds.
08:16 PM on 05/02/07
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
Fucking incredible album, and you are absolutely correct, Thomas Erak is INSANE live. His ability to shred his way up the fretboard while screaming his head off is a pretty amazing talent to witness.

But if you like this album, then I would go snag their first, self-titled one (which was recently re-released), because, even in spite of the lackluster production, I still consider that album to be superior to Doppelganger. I'm not into the screechy screaming that Thom likes to do on this one, and I think some of his best riffs were on the first one.

Also, if you're really feeling ambitious, then you can scour LimeWire for The Fall Of Troy's Ghostship Demos. I'd recommend Ghostship Part IV or Part V, but all of them are fantastic. I've heard rumor of the boys releasing the demos on an EP or possibly their next album, and that would be pretty B.A., but that's likely just bullshit made up by some over-excited 12 year-olds.
Ghostship Part VI was released on the new album(Manipulator) as Semi-Fiction.
10:47 PM on 09/06/09
gibson243
User Info.
amazing guitar riffs on this album. Thomas erak's use of guitar effects really brings out how unique the fall of troy is.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos