AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Jealous Sound - Kill Them with Kindness Album Cover

The Jealous Sound - Kill Them with Kindness

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Jealous Sound - Kill Them with Kindness
Release Date: June 3, 2003
Record Label: Better Looking

Overall Score: 9.7

“There is hope for us.” An incredible album begins with a sense of promise, not only lyrically, but musically. The Jealous Sound’s full-length Kill them with Kindness is an emotional progression of beautiful musicianship, energy, and heartfelt lyrics. Each song moves dynamically from start to finish, dipping and wavering with every transition. The opener “Hope for Us” provides every element needed to create the perfect rock song. There are strong yet tender vocals, thick and animated bass lines, and dramatic transitions. While this song is more laid back, it is falls nothing short of complete brilliance. Soft breakdowns with electronic effects lead in to a passionate chorus with cries of “Kiss me open mouth”.

The second track, “Naïve”, shows the band’s ability to rock harder. A fast, driving verse races into a crisp chorus. The vocals are aggressive and the lyrics earnest. The Jealous Sound is never known to shy away from using terms of endearment in their songs, and this song is no exception. The result is music that connects to the listener on an interpersonal level. The album progresses perfectly into the gentle song that is “Anxious Arms”. A tender intro flows into a firm verse with high and lively bass lines. The song reaches its climax during the huge chorus again filled with strong vocals and spectacular musicianship.

An electronic effect draws you into the dark sound that is “The Fold Out.” Subtle electronic effects create a sense of euphoria throughout the verse as the vocals move as if independent from the music. The music builds up to a drum and electronic bridge with heavy work on the high hat cymbal. This is another perfect song that creates a sense of anticipation all the way until the very end, with verse/chorus transitions being seamless.
The album does not lose an ounce of momentum with the energetic track “The Gift Horse”, one of a few songs that have strongly defined choruses. Again, I cannot stress enough The Jealous Sound’s ability to write transitions. Every single track on this record progresses from one section to another without a hitch. The next song “Does that Make Sense?” uses metaphorical lyrics to relate to love. Honest, open lyrics make The Jealous Sound incredibly accessible to the listener.

“Abandon! Abandon!” contains an extremely terse and dark flowing chorus with almost haunting lyrics. A sense of hope remains throughout the song as the chorus is bright and uplifting. The final three songs of the album slow the album down significantly, as the vocals remain strong yet not overwhelming.

“There is hope for us.” One line could never define an album so well. Listening to The Jealous Sound will bring a smile to the face, it will bring a tear to the eye, but the final sentiment is one of optimism. Every question raised has an answer – in a musical sense. Each song comes full circle – from the question of promise it presents to the optimistic feeling it carries through the end. This album is a musical journey. Every single aspect of the music comes together to create a masterpiece of an album. Each song is a piece of art, and Kill them with Kindness is the gallery in which to display them. The production is perfect. The guitars and bass are ubiquitous and the vocals are double-layered to perfectly complement the free-flowing style of vocals The Jealous Sound possesses. This is simply one of the best rock albums to come out over the past two years. A must own for music fans of any genre.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
09:41 PM on 11/27/05
TheBaroness
User Info.
one of my all-time favorites. thanks for the review.
08:08 AM on 11/28/05
mediocrgreenday
MEATLOAF!!! FUCK!!!!!!!!!
User Info.
about time this album got some respect, good job. this is one of my all time favorites too. cant wait for the follow-up.
10:20 PM on 12/01/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
thanks guys. one of my favorite cds of all time.
10:43 PM on 12/01/05
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
Nice, some recognition for an awesome album.
08:10 PM on 12/02/05
kevin111
Kevin111
User Info.
I am so excited that their next release will be with The Militia Group. This band is so incredible, I am truly looking forward to whatever they will do.
10:11 PM on 06/01/06
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
hot damn.
04:04 PM on 02/27/10
not.sad.anymore
always the bad guy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Was thinking about my "albums of the decade" This is definitely one of them. It not only got me through a very tumultuous year when it came out, I have come back to this album time after time since. The musicianship was leaps and bounds ahead of anything else i was listening to at the time, and still impresses me. Seven years later, I think I can safely say that this will always be one of my all time favorites.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos