AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
This Providence - Our World's Divorce Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 94%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.63
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.38
Average: 90%
Inside AP.net

This Providence - Our World's Divorce

Reviewed by: Scott Weber (11/21/05)
This ProvidenceOur World’s Divorce
Release Date: November 16, 2004
Record Label: Rocketstar Recordings

This Providence has exploded onto the scene with their debut full-length, “Our World’s Divorce”, out November 16th on Rocketstar Recordings. The album is in a word – astounding. Beautiful interlacing guitar lines weave thick bass into crunchy choruses. Memorable pop melodies infiltrate every verse and every chorus. This is more than just another pop-punk album. This is an entirely new and refreshing twist on an over-populated genre. This Providence consists of 4 members – Dan (lead vocals, guitar), Paul (drums), Gavin (guitar), and Phil (bass, vocals). Each member is talented in his own right. Gavin is a superb song writer, Paul pounds out steady yet technical drum beats, and Dan and Phil have great chemistry as vocalists. They share the duty throughout most of the CD, with Dan taking main vocal parts while Phil inserts a line here and there. Dan’s high, lazy voice blends well with the crunchy rock lines while Phil’s deeper and thicker voice provides a great balance to one of Dan’s lines. “Catching My Breath” is a perfect example of the counterbalance of vocals that This Providence displays so well.

The album begins with “Well Versed in the Ways of the World”, a pop explosion that launches the listener into the musical journey that This Providence provides. This song flows lightly into punching chorus that leads into a breakdown full of snappy offbeats provided by drummer Paul Benson. This song ends with another breakneck display of drumming, leading into the second track “Truth and Reconciliation”. This is where Dan and Phil really shine vocally. They alternate back and forth throughout each verse and chorus, progressing into passionate cries by the end of the song. Again, there is just something about This Providence that sets them apart from every other band trying to do this kind of music. Songs never fall into a formula; each melody is constantly flowing and changing into another hook as I never get sick or bored with any song on this album.

The album continues on in incredible fashion, with the super-catchy “Everyday”. A few slower songs lead us into my favorite track on the album “Certain Words in Uncertain Times”. This is an acoustic track with electronic drums (think The Starting Line’s EP). The rhythm of this song is hands down the catchiest thing I have heard in over a year. I’m not exaggerating in the least. The chorus is emphasized by a bouncy synth line that balances with everything else perfectly. Dan sings this entire song, and his soft cries complete the song. The production on this album is perfect. Casey Bates (Gatsby’s American Dream) has everything sounding perfectly balanced in every aspect. The vocals are mixed well, the bass is loud and thick, and nothing sounds overdone. There are plenty of added effects (reminds me of Mae) but it’s not over the top – everything remains in balance and the effects add to the songs, they don’t detract from them.

The album continues on with “Catching my Breath”, a song with emotional lyrics about the sacrifice of life. “So I…Swallow all my pride. Take a deep breath and fall at your feet…so this is breathing. Breathing you…” You know that feeling you get when a song or lyric just hits you deep in your soul? That’s the feeling I get when I hear this song. That line leads into another huge emotional chorus with another outstanding pop hook. Another stand-out track is “Any Romantic Fairytale”. This is a remake of an old song, and it proves This Providence’s versatility. Easily the fastest track on the album, this song will grab you from the beginning guitar riff to the end. The album ends with the powerful anthem “Our Flag is White”. It’s a perfect finisher to a perfect album.

I’ve been listening to This Providence for a few years now, and it’s been quite an experience to watch them grow into what they are today. This album has everything I want in a record. It’s catchy, it’s chock full of talent, and it breaks out of the norm. You may have heard the buzz about This Providence, or you may have all ready heard the record. This CD hits stores Nov. 16 and I don’t just suggest you buy it – I command you to. This is one of the best albums of the year – no matter what kind of music you’re into. Anybody can appreciate what This Providence brings to the table.

The album ends with Phil singing “The whole world hates us, the whole world hates our song…but still we sing…but still we sing along”. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The world is about to fall in love with This Providence, and yes - you will sing along.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
12:24 AM on 02/12/06
kevin111
Kevin111
User Info.
I can't believe no one has posted a thing about this review. It was fuckin fantastic man. I think you captured the album perfectly. I agree completley with every word, stellar album.
09:09 PM on 06/03/06
chicametipo
User Info.
this bands tight...they played with ivd check em out http://[URL="http://www.purevolume.com/islandviewdrive"]www.purevolume.com/islandviewdrive[/url]
04:02 AM on 07/10/06
Mark Orr
User Info.
Incredible CD. Looking forward imensely to the new stuff...FBR has its critics but you gotta say they sign some really good bands.
01:41 PM on 07/23/06
Cue the Sun
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
I didn't like this cd too much, but im expecting much, much more from their upcoming release.
10:01 PM on 07/13/08
bummm
Slave 2 tha booty
User Info.
I love it.
03:16 PM on 02/26/11
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
User Info.
Such a great album
11:35 PM on 06/08/11
phillipjacob