AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Socratic - Lunch for the Sky Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 9.56
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.63
Reviewer Tilt 9.88
Average: 97%
Inside AP.net

Socratic - Lunch for the Sky

Reviewed by: Rohan Kohli (11/21/05)
Socratic - Lunch for the Sky
Release Date: September 6, 2005
Record Label: Drive Thru Records

When a CD receives a review pronouncing it as possibly “the best album ever released” and receives a score of “Infinity/10,” it’s easy to be a little skeptical. It’s also easy to be curious as to what warranted such a statement. Needless to say, I was pretty excited when I first got my copy of Socratic’s Lunch for the Sky: was I holding in my hands the album of my life? Perhaps the finest album ever created? Unfortunately, the answer is a resounding “no.” Yes, music is subjective, so for Dave Sullivan, the author of the aforementioned review, he may consider Lunch or the Sky the best album ever. I won’t take that away from him, but for me, this probably isn’t even the best CD I’ve heard all week. Should you check it out? Yes. Should you expect a world class masterpiece? Eh, probably not.

With vocals somewhat similar to those of Travis Shettel’s from Piebald, both in terms of timbre and the “out of key” thing going on (neither singer is really out of key, they just sound a little “off” at times), and strongly piano-based music, Socratic’s brand of indie piano pop is certainly interesting, as the band avoids the glossy approach that other bands have taken (Waking Ashland comes to mind) and go for a rawer, more down to earth sound, incorporating groovy bass lines and jangly guitars. The rawer sound is definitely nice to hear, and the production itself contributes to the earthy sound: there is almost a “live” feel to the recording. Granted, the mix isn’t all that good, and I feel like the drums are drowned out, but I think the band probably got what they were going for in terms of the overall feel.

The album starts off with “Theme From Your Mother’s Garden,” a two minute piano-centered full band instrumental, complete with classical sounding piano trills, that somehow reminds me of an Olympics commercial or something. Don’t ask. The rest of the album is mostly full of pop songs, soaring choruses, and aggressive piano parts, except for “Too Late Too Soon,” which is the chill, laid back piano song every band seems to have nowadays. Eventually, the big choruses and gang vocals on tracks such as “I Don’t Wear a Coast” and “Lunch for the Sky” get sort of old, but it’s definitely uplifiting (especially on “Lunch for the Sky”), and that’s hard to complain about.

Overall, the album is alright, but you should definitely give it a listen. I never really listened to Socratic’s older stuff, so I don’t know how Lunch for the Sky compares, but I feel that this band has good things ahead of them—it’s just that this release doesn’t grab me. While others may proclaim it the “best album ever” and get your hopes up a bit too much, just know that you’ll probably enjoy the CD if you’re into the “Drive Thru” sound. And on a somewhat random note, these guys are really good live from the 2 songs I caught.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
01:29 AM on 06/06/06
CircaEnder
act appalled
User Info.
Rohan Kohli is quite possibly a fucking retard for this review..
11:00 AM on 06/27/06
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
Seemed dead on to me.
06:23 AM on 11/02/06
J to the Osh
User Info.
what a douche. theyre awesome.
06:21 PM on 12/01/06
Rad McAwesome
User Info.
what a douche. theyre awesome.

seriously. thats frustrating. i love socratic!!
10:53 AM on 12/07/06
oshyjay
User Info.
I agree with ya.
Maybe it's just that our hopes were up (you should have seen me at CD Warehouse when I saw the CD was only 1.99)?
I don't know...it didn't really stick out to me.
Don't get me wrong, it's not that bad, it just doesn't stick out to me.
It's just my personal opinion, but I don't like how the singer sings almost without a discernible melody. Not to say that melody's not there, just that he never sticks to the same melody to sing, and after a while it sounds like it's just talking.
But hey, I know a bunch of people'll say that they're going "outside of the box" with that, which is cool.
In my personal opinion though, I'd agree with the reviewer.
04:04 PM on 12/18/09
Castle Builders
Been fly since I was a young larvae
User Info.
I know this is an old review but since I'm a new member, I had to go back and revisit some of my favorites. I agree that music is subjective and while you may disagree with David giving this album an "Infinity/10" or call it "the greatest album ever", I can't say that I disagree.

Lunch for the Sky's quirky lyrics and catchy choruses from a mentally ill perspective have a magical way of sparking my imagination and giving me a honest ans simple, yet different, perspective of things. What happens when we die? Perhaps, we are just "lunch" to be gobbled up by the sky. It's moments like these that have me walking down the street with a smile on my face appreciating the beauty in everything, and these moments happen often. From beginning to end, the album is solid. It may not be the most original sound (yes, it's very reminiscent of Piebald) but it is a good sound (what's not to love about pop-piano rock; at least it's not metalcore). There is soooo much melody to this album and it has a completely unique concept with songs about falling in love with the woman of your dreams (a woman that doesn't exist), a stay at home wife who dances with her broom, dreaming that she has a ball to go to, how doctor's are in need of doctors just as much as we are, etc.

"I'll extend my arms out to learn a lesson that no teachers teach
on how to admire the morning, in case this is the last one that I ever see"
01:24 PM on 06/14/10
SumPunk30
Hope you find what you need
User Info.
I know this is an old review but since I'm a new member, I had to go back and revisit some of my favorites. I agree that music is subjective and while you may disagree with David giving this album an "Infinity/10" or call it "the greatest album ever", I can't say that I disagree.

Lunch for the Sky's quirky lyrics and catchy choruses from a mentally ill perspective have a magical way of sparking my imagination and giving me a honest ans simple, yet different, perspective of things. What happens when we die? Perhaps, we are just "lunch" to be gobbled up by the sky. It's moments like these that have me walking down the street with a smile on my face appreciating the beauty in everything, and these moments happen often. From beginning to end, the album is solid. It may not be the most original sound (yes, it's very reminiscent of Piebald) but it is a good sound (what's not to love about pop-piano rock; at least it's not metalcore). There is soooo much melody to this album and it has a completely unique concept with songs about falling in love with the woman of your dreams (a woman that doesn't exist), a stay at home wife who dances with her broom, dreaming that she has a ball to go to, how doctor's are in need of doctors just as much as we are, etc.

"I'll extend my arms out to learn a lesson that no teachers teach
on how to admire the morning, in case this is the last one that I ever see"
agree 100%. honestly one of my favorite albums of all time. I think it's one of those records that only makes sense to certain people. It reminds of Say Anything in the sense either you can completely get into it or you can't get into it. If you're reaching the mid point between the former you probably aren't getting into it the way you should be...this album deserves many listens. Hope they go back to more of this sound on their new record.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums