AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hush Sound, The - So Sudden Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 7.38
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7.63
Reviewer Tilt 7.88
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Hush Sound, The - So Sudden

Reviewed by: Rohan Kohli (11/21/05)
The Hush Sound - So Sudden
Release Date: October 11, 2005
Record Label: Decaydence/Fueled By Ramen

Panic! At the Disco surprised just about everybody with their first week sales, selling nearly 10,000 copies of their catchy-as-fuck debut album A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out. With those numbers, one would assume it had to have come out on decent sized label—but Decaydence Records? Granted, Pete Wentz’s (Fall Out Boy) Decaydence is an imprint of Fueled By Ramen, so it’s not a totally brand new label, and having Wentz, a #1 TRL artist whom teenage girls will do anything for, spread the word about the band doesn’t exactly hurt either. Nevertheless, although most people do associate Decaydence with P!ATD, the label does have other bands, Chicago’s The Hush Sound being one of them. With the stage having been set, does The Hush Sound live up to their label’s new standards?

It seems that straight up pop is making a resurgence, and I, for one, am all for it. The Hush Sound plays unabashed pop music, sometimes melodious and pleasant, other times eccentric, yet enchanting. >From bouncy swing-like tunes to melancholy piano ballads, The Hush Sound run the gamut of pop, all the while throwing in a nearly jazzy, bouncy flavor. Pianos are out in full force on this album, but the songs aren’t necessarily based around them; the band blends piano into the mix extremely well and allows it to color the songs, rather than completely dominate them. Of course, some songs do indeed revolve around the piano, such as “Weeping Willow” and “Eileen,” but I never feel like the pianos are there just for the sake of it. Female vocals also make occasional appearances on here, which does bring up the comparisons to Straylight Run and Lydia, but it’s not just the female vocals that might warrant the association: songs like the slow-tempo “Unsafe Safe” are undeniably Nolan-esque, while tracks like “Weeping Willow” do bring Lydia to mind.

The somewhat swing-sounding first track “City Traffic Puzzle” exemplifies the mix of rock and pianos best, as the jazzy chord progression is layered with vaudevillian-esque pianos—in fact, the vaudevillian sound just might remind some people of the latter half of P!ATD’s new album. “My Apologies” and “Crawling Towards the Sun” also contain that bouncy, eerie, comedic sound, so while most people probably won’t agree with me, I hear a very, very, very slight tinge of P!ATD at times, but only because of those certain piano lines, and nothing else. Don’t hate me for it. I’m not even saying the band took the idea from P!ATD, because the album was recorded before P!ATD even started recording their CD. The rest of the album features a mix of the aforementioned swing-esque tunes, haunting, mellow, and even jazzy acoustic ballads, songs reminiscent of the 50’s, and even the occasionally straight up rock song.

Overall, The Hush Sound has shown with So Sudden that they have great potential; they just haven’t gotten to their peak quite yet. Things are just a little disjoined. The production on the album also isn’t the best, as things sound a little thin and distant, but I’m sure that will change with their next release, as this is simply a re-release of the band’s work before signing to Decaydence. They’ll be writing some songs with Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy this winter (he’ll also be co-producing their new album), and I feel that with the proper guidance, they’ll be able to churn out an album that just might be as successful as Panic! At the Disco’s new album has been. Fall Out Boy has a knack for great hooks, and that’s one of the big things that this album lacks, so I think that will help out a lot. Check this out if you want some no frills pop music, and are a fan of The Cherry Poppin’ Daddies (yup), Straylight Run, Lydia, or yes, even Panic! At the Disco (please don’t kill me!).

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
02:29 PM on 01/07/07
Music=Peace
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a good album, it's not as good as Like Vines... but this album is definitely worth a listen... I'd just get the good songs off iTunes though... however, go buy Like Vines immediately!
03:40 PM on 01/08/07
Oneurwaitingfor
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I actually like this cd better in some ways. It has a more virginal feel, but they definitely grow on Like Vines
04:18 PM on 01/18/07
Music=Peace
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, Momentum is a great song. There are a lot of good songs on this album, I completely agree. They really find a unique sort of style in Like Vines though, and I think they set themselves apart from the norm then. That's what I like the most about Like Vines.
06:54 AM on 11/28/07
cereal4life
User Info.
Good album! But what's the effin deal with the 3% scores?!
10:10 PM on 07/13/08
bummm
Slave 2 tha booty
User Info.
^^ seriously.

I love this album.
03:42 PM on 04/28/09
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
this album's amazing. although, your various references to panic! upset me. i don't think they sound like panic. at all.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums