AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fully Down, The - Don't Get Lost in a Movement Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 9.42
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.08
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Fully Down, The - Don't Get Lost in a Movement

Reviewed by: Rohan Kohli (11/21/05)
The Fully Down - Don't Get Lost in a Movement
Release Date: November 22, 2005
Record Label: Fearless

If you’re one of the people who wish Thrice had stuck with their Illusion of Safety sound on TAITA and Vheissu, The Fully Down’s Don’t Get Lost In a Movement may just be the album to satisfy your need for riff-a-licious, harmonies-out-the-wazoo, melodic, pop-infused punk. Boasting a somewhat metallic triple guitar attack, The Fully Down quite simply shreds. Sure, they may not be the most original, genre-bending band in the world, but they do what they do extremely, extremely well.

Being the harmony/guitar freak that I am, I was instantly drawn to Don’t Get Lost In a Movement: guitar and vocal harmonies are literally everywhere. Seldom is the guitar lead or vocal melody that isn’t harmonized, and frankly, that makes me giddy. Another thing that makes the album enjoyable is that the band is fucking tight. Everything is dead on and played very cleanly. The guitar tones help out with this, as there’s not too much distortion muddying things up, but at the same time, there’s not too little, which allows the music to retain its edge.

Comparisons to Thrice are inevitable, and I’m sure I’m not the first, nor will I be the last, to note the similarity. It’s simply how it is—melodic punk with a tinge of hardcore/metal will indubitably warrant such a comparison, as Thrice were arguably the ones who introduced and popularized the style. The vocals at times also resemble those of Thrice’s Dustin Kensrue (such as on “No Fate…” and "We Are All Accomplices"), so that’s another aspect that people might note. The Fully Down might be too poppy for their fans (hell, there’s a frickin’ key change in “Hey—You Guys Wanna See A Dead Body”), but I could also see certain A Wilhelm Scream followers digging this release, as the album does occasionally have a similar feel to AWS’s Ruiner with a few double-time drum beats and somewhat similar guitar leads (the vocal harmony in the intro of “Descent, Rebellion, and All Around Hell-Raising” is also very AWS-ish).

Overall, I’m extremely impressed with Don’t Get Lost In A Movement. I was simply not expecting the album to be this good; shred-fests such as these excite me. The one downfall of the album is that the songs do eventually tend to run together, but that’s it really. The songs are well written, the guitar playing is fantastic, both the guitar and vocal harmonies are orgasmic, and the band sounds extremely solid. High energy, metallic, pop punk—think Thrice/A Wilhelm Scream but poppier. Check it out.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
11:18 AM on 12/12/05
whokilledcasey
resident bad ass
User Info.
I agree, it's a solid album. Yah Ottawa, Ontario!
11:24 AM on 12/13/05
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
Originally Posted by Rohan Kohli
“Hey—You Guys Wanna See A Dead Body"

One time when I was high I said that to a group of passing senior citizens and I think they might have called the police.
05:13 PM on 01/21/06
uhhimetgreenday
User Info.
I love this album, it's amazing. And yeah, it reminds me a lot of Thrice's Illusion of Safety, only less hard.
03:49 AM on 01/31/06
trustmeimokay
Hi
User Info.
It's alright. Good for what it is.
10:16 PM on 02/21/06
fightfightfight
Celebrates Alvistide
User Info.
I still dont get the thrice comparison completely. and the sticker on the front compared it to IRON MAIDEN?

I dont think so
01:59 PM on 04/20/06
plainoldbrent
User Info.
the fully down is one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time... suuuuuch fun music, and they are amazing and really energetic live. i love them.
08:22 AM on 10/23/06
J to the Osh
User Info.
great album. i like how near the end of their songs they tend to repeat the chorus ala drums/vocals
06:42 AM on 10/12/07
ItsCountEjacula
User Info.
Yeah this disc really suprised me. I picked it up used and was very happy. Great buy new or used.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums