AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Pierce The Veil - 03.26.09

Interviewed by
Pierce The Veil - 03.26.09Among the madness of Taste of Chaos and nearing the starting line of a new record, Pierce The Veil let us peek into their run on the annual tour, what's to come with new music and a particular side project, and - very importantly - the Nerf Gun trenches. Thanks to Mike Cubillos for the connection and Vic Fuentes, lead vocalist and guitarist of Pierce The Veil, for taking time away from the foam warfare to answer our questions.

First of all, thank you guys for doing this. Let's start off with the topic of the hour, Taste of Chaos. How's it going? How are the crowds?

Vic Fuentes: Taste Of Chaos is the most amazing tour we've ever done! The crowds have been awesome. It's a very diverse lineup so we are also gaining a lot of new fans that have never seen us before.

How's the tour chemistry? Did the bands immediately hit it off?

Vic: There is great chemistry on this tour because we have already toured with most of these bands before so everyone is already good friends. Some of us have even started collaborating and doing guest appearances on stage. I started singing a song called "The Sadness Will Never End" with Bring Me The Horizon recently. It's awesome to show the crowd that all the bands are actually friends.

As a major annual tour in our music community, Taste of Chaos is kind of a big deal. You guys certainly have been on other big tours, but what was going through your head when you found out you were going to be playing TOC?

Vic: We felt very lucky and honored to be a part of this tour. I still feel a little over my head sometimes when I see the crowds and the venues. It's amazing to have the opportunity to put on a real entertaining show for our fans.

This is an interesting user question: "Do feel your band is received better in some parts of the country versus others? What parts?"

Vic:
We've kind of noticed that we have bigger crowds along the East and West Coasts as opposed to the more central parts of the US. I'm not really sure why.

What about the best show you've ever played? I'm sure there's gotta be a few that stand out, but what makes them stand out in your mind?

Vic: One of my favorite shows we've ever played was in New York City at The Knitting Factory. It was sold out and the crowd was singing louder than we were. We have grown very close to our fans over the last couple of years and they have become an important part of the show for us.

And of course, it wouldn't be an interview with a crazy tour story! Please indulge us.

Vic: I hate my band right now because they all recently purchased Nerf guns and have been having intense wars around me at all times. Am I the only one who doesn't like shooting fucking Nerf guns!!??

I recently did an interview with a band that's on the Take Action Tour this year, and they were telling me about how different they feel than their friends at home, because they're always on the road and they feel the most at home on the road. Like they feel like aliens compared to all their hometown friends. What do you say to this sentiment? Agree/disagree?

Vic: I agree to an extent. I find that when we get home and start settling in, that even a big city, like San Diego where we are from, can seem very small. Just the idea of seeing the same exact people everyday and even driving down the same street can be unsettling since we are so used to traveling constantly. We are used to an ever-changing lifestyle.

I want to sidetrack here for a second. You guys have been though the band transformation thing, through the name and line-up change, but there are a lot of bands that get stuck at that transition and never get out of that rut. What kind of advice can you give to bands that are at a turning point?

Vic: I'd say from our experience that if something is not working, then start over with something new and fresh. I've seen a lot of bands go through numerous member changes, style changes, etc. and it never seems to work in the end. We decided to form a brand new band and treat it like something completely different. Everything has worked out well so far.

Well, let's get into to new music. I know that AbsolutePunk members are itching to know more about what's coming up next.

Vic: After Taste Of Chaos we are going to take a break from touring and write and record a new Pierce The Veil album. Until then, we are releasing a side-project band called Isles And Glaciers to hold everyone over until the new PTV record comes out. The band features Mike and I, Craig from Chiodos, Jonny from Emarosa, and many other amazing musicians.

So, you've said that after TOC, you're gonna buckle down and work on a new record. Do you have an idea of what kind of direction you're going to head in - harder, faster, more melodic, etc.?

Vic:
The album is going to be completely inspired by our fans. All we've been doing over the last couple years is playing shows, so we want to write an album that we will enjoy playing live every night. It will be very energetic to lend itself to a fun show for us and our fans.

You've also said you've been writing a bit. Do you have any complete songs written so far?

Vic: No not yet just a bunch of parts. We haven't stopped touring so it's been very hard to write. We plan on completely locking down after TOC.

Another AbsolutePunk user wanted to know if there will be any acoustic songs like "Kissing In Cars" on the new record?

Vic: Probably not on the album but I am sure we will be writing plenty more just for fun.

Any idea, or a time frame, of when it will be out? Any other details you can let us in on?

Vic: Not sure yet. It will be on Equal Vision Records.

Isles and Glaciers? What's the update with that? I'm sure the users on AbsolutePunk would love an update.

Vic: We just played our first show ever at SXSW in Austin. The show went great and we were all super excited to finally play the songs live. We plan on officially releasing some songs soon, maybe within the next couple of months. Other than that we are still working on one last song for the album.

And, of course, we love new music. Please recommend us something you've been listening to lately that you think we should check out.

Vic: I would highly recommend the new A Day To Remember, Homesick. We are so proud of them for making such a great album so go check it out!

Thank you very much and best of luck on TOC!

Vic: Thanks, love ya!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
10:47 PM on 04/02/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Oh Vic.. Homesick..
11:14 PM on 04/02/09
ARo2431
User Info.
Decent interview. He could of gave us a better recommendation. I'm pretty sure everyone already knows who A Day To Remember is here. I wish he would spat out some more info on isles and glaciers. I really want to hear some music from them.
11:53 PM on 04/02/09
BSturg
User Info.
Isles & Glaciers is going to be nuts. The lineup is packed with talent. Anything but this electronica nonsense.
11:57 PM on 04/02/09
abellaw
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I cant wait to hear the isles and glaciers cd and i been waiting for the new pierce the veil for a very long time now...and though i think homesick is an ok album, i was expecting something more
12:13 AM on 04/03/09
YouSmellExcited
those who can't do run AP.net ;)
User Info.
Emerosa or EMAROSA?
05:21 AM on 04/03/09
TellYourFriends
The Bad Guy
User Info.
Haha. I didn't even catch that.
07:05 AM on 04/03/09
Closet Fan
User Info.
Wow. This whole time, I was under the impression that 'Homesick' was just a bunch of shitty Four Year Strong b-sides.
07:11 AM on 04/03/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
Homesick? Really? No thanks Vic. But great interview about TOC.
07:37 AM on 04/03/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.

Good catch, ill fix that when I get home.
08:30 AM on 04/03/09
nickthehick2
King of France
User Info.
Side project with Jonny Craig?! Do want.
02:28 PM on 04/03/09
i'm a big deal.
Streets ahead.
User Info.
I fucking love this man!
03:18 PM on 04/05/09
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Good interview.

I love reading them. Can't wait for this and Isles and Glaciers.
09:07 AM on 04/09/09
stranger!danger
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm stoked for Isles and Glaciers!
04:40 PM on 04/10/09
TakenByCars
@jaymeemyaj
User Info.
great interview. thanks for all the updates

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News