Password

Album Review

System Of A Down - Hypnotize Album Cover

System Of A Down - Hypnotize

Reviewed by
System Of A Down- Hypnotize
Release Date: November 22, 2005
Record Label: American/Columbia Records
System Of A Down set off in 2005 with the goal of releasing an album that would be more brutal and political than any other SOAD album before. The only difference this time around was that, instead of releasing it all in one package, SOAD (featuring vocalist Serj Tankian, guitarist/vocalist Daron Malakian, bassist Shavo Odadjian, and drummer John Dolmayan) wrote a double-album, which each section being released in a 6-month span. The first part, “Mezmerize,” was released this past May, and the concluding part, “Hypnotize,” was released this past week. In comparison, “Hypnotize” is frantic, the complete opposite of the more mild-mannered “Mezmerize.” When listened to separately, “Hypnotize” is the better album, but when listened together (“Mezmerize” then “Hypnotize”), you get a beautiful masterpiece. They were recorded at the same time with Rick Rubin, but SOAD decided it would be better to release them separately, so instead of cramming 23 tracks at once, they split it up, so that the listener could understand and digest the first offering and be ready to take on the second part. Personally, I wish SOAD would have released the two parts together, because then the album would have had more of an impact on me that it does right now.
“Hypnotize” is a fight to the finish record, with the majority of the 12 tracks under 3 minutes. Fast, intense, and in your face, “Hypnotize” grabs you by the balls and doesn’t let go for 40 minutes. The album begins by kicking you in the face with the speed-metal influenced “Attack,” which features Dolmayan’s hammering on the drums and Malakian’s staccato guitar play. Tankian furious bark reigns throughout the song. “Kill Rock ‘N Roll,” is one of my favorites on the album. It begins with a soft guitar and bass, tribal drumming, and Serj’s soft singing, then Malakian budges in with the line: “So I felt like the biggest asshole/When I killed your rock and roll.” The song has a mid-paced tempo with good melodies throughout. The title track, “Hypnotize,” which is also the first single of the album, begins with a gentle guitar riff mixed with Odadjian’s pulsating bass and leads into a swooping melody with Tankian’s soaring vocals and Malakian’s haunting tenor. Tankian and Malakian are one of a kind with their duel vocals. Tankian has more of a gruff bravado to his vocals, while Malakian’s vocals are cleaner and darker. The vocals battle each other throughout the album, and are definitely one of the many highlights of this album. “Stealing Society” is a fast, bouncy track and “Tentative” is full of major riff
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
ag

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
10:56 PM on 11/24/05
matddors
User Info.
Awesome review. Amazing cd too, one of the best of 2005.
11:44 PM on 11/24/05
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
i crave the cd.
12:11 AM on 11/25/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
i love that the system censors rif***e
01:17 AM on 11/25/05
monkeyboy14
Good Day Sunshine
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber

Yeah I got a laugh out of that too. The censorship on this system is rather strange. *** gets edited out while other seemingly harsher words are free to be thrown around.

I am yet to hear Hypnotize. Nice review though. I shall go and give it a listen. I did rather enjoy Mesmerize so this should be good too.
01:48 AM on 11/25/05
Electric Child
User Info.
rif***e? wtf?
01:49 AM on 11/25/05
Electric Child
User Info.
fuck
04:16 AM on 11/25/05
reav
honestly, it was nothing.
User Info.
Radio/Video was one way funny song. The other single off Mesmerize not so.
Maybe I should give this one a listen after all.
06:45 AM on 11/25/05
ADreamToCrush
Miles "Tails" Prower
User Info.
Actually, I believe I got something in the mail a couple years ago saying that George Bush publically acknowledged the Armenian Genocide and set a memorial date to April 24th. Maybe it was just a letter pushing for us to get Bush to do this (I'm Armenian), but either way I think America is certainly aware, though the general public is greatly uneducated about this tragedy.

Great CD though. I love Lonely Day. How come that wasn't mentioned in the review =|
07:16 AM on 11/25/05
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Good review... although I would have to completely disagree with you about Hypnotize being the better album.
07:45 AM on 11/25/05
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber

Damn, I forgot about that, that's gay.
07:46 AM on 11/25/05
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I fixed it now.
08:53 AM on 11/25/05
bigmig22
Rated Arg = best live act
User Info.
i am going to have to relisten to Mezmerize because i personally thought mezmerize sucked and i couldnt stand their single.

I used to jam their self titled CD and Toxicity all the time and I still love them.
11:00 AM on 11/25/05
HerbSmoker420
Been Here A While
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Someday, people will look back on our work and say, good going, F.A.G. You've really done it now haven't you, F.A.G. Sorry, someone had to say it.
12:35 PM on 11/25/05
CorporateFish
Viva la Weez
User Info.
I can not decide whether to buy this. I've never owned a SOAD album before in my life, though I can dig there music, especially their last album..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos