AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Panic Division, The - Versus Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Panic Division, The - Versus

Reviewed by: Rohan Kohli (11/25/05)
The Panic Division Ė Versus
Release Date: November 1, 2005
Record Label: The Militia Group

Letís do a little mind experiment, shall we? Take The Jealous Sound, de-indie-fy them, inject them with a 300% dose of hard, heavy rock, heap layers upon layers of dark, atmospheric, electronic textures on the bandís palette, and marvel at the product: The Panic Division. The bandís Militia Group debut, Versus, is an exceptionally crafted, melancholy, dark, electronic-based, spacey, heavy-hitting, pop-tinged rock record; yes, itís as good as it sounds.

Whereas many bands these days scatter electronics throughout their songs simply as an afterthought, The Panic Division actually writes their songs based off the electronic loops they create. Such a process results in a very genuine sounding record: the electronic loops and keyboards weave in and out of the songs gracefully, never coming or leaving abruptly, but always setting the mood and helping to carry the songs where they need to go. Weaned on such artists as Aphex Twin, DJ Shadow, and Snapcase, singer Colton Holliday says the band tries to combine electronic and rock music ďthe right way.Ē Well, Mr. Holliday, The Panic Division has succeeded. With flying colors.

When I listen to Versus, I am immersed in a world all my own. The mood the album creates is one I empathize with: melancholy, and a sense of loneliness. Err, I guess that makes me sound like Iím depressed, but Iím not. Itís just a warm feeling to know that other people can create music that sounds the way I feel at timesóafter all, isnít that what music is about? Whenever I listen to the album, I feel like Iím wandering around in a desolate, urban, city late at night, just walking and thinking. Yeah, thatís pretty weird, I know, but the album does that to me. And I love every second of it.

The rich, textural electronic samples perfectly complement the heavy, hard-hitting guitars, and though Iíve said this before, the fusion of the two really is remarkable. The synth loops are deep and expressive, the swirling, oft-delayed guitars are full-bodied and ready to smack you in the face, and the vocals and harmonies are smooth and melodious. The production is nice and thick with the guitars, but allows for some breathing room tooóit fits the music perfectly. If you were reading this review to figure out whether or not to buy the album, the answer is a resounding yes. Well done, The Panic Division, well done.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
01:07 AM on 11/25/05
Nick Lopez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hmm. I listened to it once and didn't think it was anything too special. I guess I'll give it another try if I come across it.
06:24 AM on 11/25/05
theguilt engine
User Info.
I love this album. It's really good.
06:54 AM on 11/25/05
white_emo_punk
Emily
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
these guys are pretty good, not like everything else you hear these days
01:01 AM on 11/27/05
hockeyplayer168
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just attended a concert and when I came back to my car, an annoying sticker was on my windshield. And who did it feature? The Panic Division.
07:55 AM on 01/16/06
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
User Info.
I'm really loving this album lately.
12:37 AM on 01/26/06
druck
you're money baby.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Nick Lopez
Hmm. I listened to it once and didn't think it was anything too special. I guess I'll give it another try if I come across it.
Took me a few tries too. It's an amazing album.
08:51 AM on 02/01/06
ThatGirl
Tell me a secret.
User Info.
Soaring. Thats the one word that comes to mind when I listen to this album. I've seen them live three times. And I love it. They're also great guys. Very fun to hang out with and chill over coffee. Very receptive to hearing about all the different areas they are in.
12:19 PM on 03/17/06
jdawg09
Kash
User Info.
awesome ambient riffs.....love this album
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives