AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
101, The - Green Street Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

101, The - Green Street

Reviewed by: Garett Press (11/28/05)
The 101- Green Street
Limekiln Records
{SCORE: 6/10}

1. Never In
2. Wolf
3. Beth
4. Fucked Up Job
5. Wife
6. Verve
7. Generals
8. Left On
9. Bus Fare
10. Regret

When Christie Front Drive disbanded in 1996, the members spawned several new projects. Eric Richter, guitar player and lead vocalist, first went joined a band known as Antarctica, ďan electronic-infused band who Pitchfork Media pretty keenly compared to The Cure and New Order.Ē In their time they released an EP and a full length, but also ended up going their separate ways. However, Eric Richter is still making music in his latest project, The 101. A power trio hailing from NYC, this is the bandís first full length. Their sound is definitely pop-rock but with an undertone of old school emo, comparitive to something like Jimmy Eat World or early R.E.M.

The songs, while seemingly repetitive, are undeniably catchy, in fact I have one chorus glued to my brain right now, but I donít really have a problem with that. While they may be poppy, the music is extremely sincere, and the mediocre production does not diminish the bandís sound, but encourages it. I could not imagine this band with better production, their upbeat rapidly down stroked chords are made for a more raw sounding production, and thatís exactly what they have created. It is not easy to differentiate the best and worst tracks on this record because there is little diversity, they all stand alone as decent pop anthems with an energetic drive, but nothing jumps out at you, or grabs your attention.

There is definitely emotion in the songs, and the pop hooks both guitar-wise and vocally are quite infectious. For fans of Christie Front Drive or Antarctica, I would definitely recommend checking out this release. If youíre down for some emotively driven power-pop or you enjoy tasteful simplicity, Green Street is chock-full. This is probably one of the few bands still doing this style, or at least doing it well.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
05:27 AM on 09/03/08
furey
hard action- hot reaction
User Info.
i thought this album had songs with so much potential. but they lack more substance in their songs. i think overall though they sound okay. hopefully they improve and develop their music further
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests