Password

Album Review
Farewell Flight - Sound.Color.Motion. Album Cover

Farewell Flight - Sound.Color.Motion.

Reviewed by
Farewell Flight - Sound.Color.Motion.
Record Label: None
Release Date: August 19, 2008
Farewell Flight may just be one of the hardest working independent bands out there. They’ve released three self recorded EP’s, selling around 3,000 copies combined, and in just under three years they’ve completed eighteen national tours totaling almost 400 shows. To stay on the road six to seven months out of the year without any tour support, booking, or management is truly an incredible feat, and this extensive experience has allowed Farewell Flight’s sound to develop to a level way beyond most of the music out there today. Their full-length debut Sound.Color.Motion. is eleven tracks of alternative rock perfection, deserving of the highest critical acclaim for both musical and vocal execution as well as the overall consistency and maturity of the songwriting.

Farewell Flight recorded Sound.Color.Motion. at Sputnik Studios in Nashville with Grammy award winning producer Mitch Dane (Jars of Clay), had it mixed and engineered by Vance Powell (The White Stripes, Jewel), and mastered by Richard Dodd (Tom Petty, Mute Math). Needless to say, the production here is gorgeous, and considering the end result, I’m honestly stunned that this band hasn’t been picked up by a major yet (perhaps they aren’t even looking…?). Farewell Flight’s sound is dynamic in that they branch out to multiple genres, yet they are consistent in keeping their core sound throughout. The music is a mix of indie and alternative rock, with some tracks coming off as Jimmy Eat World-ish, combining melodic indie rock guitars behind catchy vocals and “ooh ooh oohs” (see “Over”), whilst others feature crooning vocals reminiscent of Chris Martin, over a lush background of piano and strings (“Slow” & "Phones"). Other tracks have more of an indie/Americana sound (“Sailors Mouth” & “America”), which adds some nice variety. There is also some experimentation on this album which really helps it stand out and will definitely surprise you at times. Without giving away too much, one track on the album makes use of that vocoder effect used by Kanye West/Lil Wayne/pretty much every artist ever, but it fits the song surprisingly well and certainly does not jeopardize the integrity of this release. “Indianapolis” opens with a kick and clap dance beat behind acoustic guitars and piano, and “The Usual Vernacular” also employs some claps at the beginning to give it a more dancy, upbeat feel. This experimentation throughout the album, as well as a few other surprises, further helps establish it as a solid release which really needs to be heard.

Sound.Color.Motion. combines various elements to make for an extraordinary listening experience. The album is a mix of indie/alt rock and Americana, featuring dynamic vocals reminiscent of a combination of great bands (J.E.W. and Coldplay to name a few), with some extremely clever experimentation, and all of this is put together with crystal clear production. Just as you’d expect, the end result is really incredible. Any other band putting “you found a new favorite band” in the “sounds like” section of their Myspace would just be laughable, but when I read it in the “sounds like” section of my new favorite band’s Myspace (Farewell Flight), it not only made me laugh but it made me want to spread the word about this extremely talented group of individuals. Keep your eyes and ears open for more about these guys, because I have no doubt that you’ll be hearing a lot about them in the near future. Until then, click the link below and start checking out your new favorite band, Farewell Flight.

Recommended If You LikeColdplay; Jimmy Eat World; Northstar; Death Cab for Cutie; Number One Fan

myspace.com/farewellflight
This review is a user submitted review from jaywarden1. You can see all of jaywarden1's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:56 PM on 04/26/09
ExplodingStereo
User Info.
Pretty good review, I love this album very much. There are just so many little things on it that make it very unique and fun to listen to. The vocoder on "Widower" makes the song almost more depressing and eerie, the hand-clap beat on "Vernacular", definitely an album everyone should buy.
06:03 PM on 04/27/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
interesting how you didn't mention 'a lullaby for insomniacs' 'begin again' and 'cruel' because those are probably my favorites. good review though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos