Password

Album Review

Uptown Creepers - What They Want EP Album Cover

Uptown Creepers - What They Want EP

Reviewed by
Uptown Creepers - What They Want EP
Release Date: 2005
Record Label: Hairball 8 Records

If you've ever wondered what it would sound like if the Dropkick Muprhys met up with the members of Rancid to form one of the fastest, high-energy ska bands around, look no further; the Uptown Creepers bring all that and more to the table on their brand new seven song EP entitled What They Want. These five guys from Texas bring it hard, they bring it fast, and my god, they show us how this kind of record should sound. What They Want is one of the most ear-pleasing EP's I've heard in quite some time, and as a whole, is an experience I won't soon forget.

As the EP kicks off, we're first hit with "This Life", an intense jam which sounds like the band had one goal in mind: to get you moving. David Cruz (lead vocals/guitar) has that signature punk-rock voice that's not uncommon within these genres, but takes it to the next level with his danceable upbeats and a little help from the bands more than powerful horn section. The first conclusion that can be made after the opening number brings itself to a close, is that the Uptown Creepers have no trouble at all in creating a catchy, sing-a-long chorus fit for chanting. "Runaway From Yesterday", the EP's second track, picks up right where "This Life" left off. Here we're scorched with another edgy, ska-punk tune, which almost single-handedly sums up everything What They Want has to offer, however this time around a little more on the poppier side (seriously, this has to be a Murphy's b-side). "Screamin' Out", on the other hand, showcases one of many ear-ringing guitar solos from Cruz, all the while banding together to create one of the finest hooks this sucker has to offer. "Sometimes" is reminiscent of a classic ska-punk song you'd hear on any 90's mixtape, creating what's tied for (in my books) the most infectious jam you'll find here, and offering up more hooks than you'd imagine. "What They Want", the EP's title track, is probably the best representation of the Uptown Creepers and what they're trying (more like succeeding) to do. It's more or less a frenzy of everything we've heard this before, combining together to create the perfect song to close this baby out.

Overall, it's really quite simple. What They Want bring backs a feeling of what the punk and ska scene used to be home to: bands who are in it for the music and focused on making the music they love to play. This is what the Uptown Creepers have banded together to do, and I tip my hat to them on every possible level. What They Want may not be a record designed to entertain for decades to come, but i'd say it comes pretty damn close to being at the front of my CD collection.
This review is a user submitted review from Brandon Allin. You can see all of Brandon Allin's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version