AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Matt Pond PA - Several Arrows Later Album Cover

Matt Pond PA - Several Arrows Later

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Matt Pond PA – Several Arrows Later

{SCORE: 7.7/10}

Jingle jangle, a term that materializes between my ears as the buzzing, warm opening notes of Several Arrows Later jump anxiously from my otherwise lifeless gray headphones. There’s an interesting contrast here on “Halloween.” By all means this song should feel like a warm weather anthem but in true fashion of a record released while leaves are dead and withering, the verses appear to be weighed down by the petulant violins. It strikes me that Matt would choose to simmer this otherwise buoyantly joyous pot with such a heavy undertone, until I begin to process the lyrics. “Went to where the people were on a Saturday night/Seems like it always seems, where we go I want to leave/Thought we were doin’ fine with our lives/There are people who will tell ya’ there is always something better.” This is so… bleak, but the keyboard riff immediately following makes me want to run around in a grassy field? My first instinct tells me that the music and the lyrics just don’t align, but then I’m hit with a revelation… I’ve felt this way before.

This juxtaposition of tempo, tone, and topic is exactly the art that Mr. Pond has so clearly perfected. Sounding tried and true, he sings with what I would describe as eager melancholy. Oxymoron? No… instead, a man weathered by all the pitfalls of life but with a genuine sense of what it means to feel good. Haven’t you ever walked away from an instance in life with a knot in your stomach and kink in your neck only to be greeted by good news and the hug of a cool breeze? If I had to guess I’d infer that these “everything’s gonna be okay” moments play a largely affective role, consciously or not, in the songwriting of our boy from Pennsylvania. Again and again, there’s this sense of delight begging to break through like sunshine through the clouds, and perhaps that’s what makes the chorus of title track “Several Arrows Later” flow through your veins and bubble in your blood. This notion of suppressed elation is widely infectious and when it does in fact poke its golden head through the jail cell bars of tribulation and glum, the payoff is well worth the wait, and then some.

The record as a whole lacks a true climax or a 24 karat gold hit, though many tracks will delight, but easily holds together as a heady conglomerate of pleasurable tunes and top notch musicianship. As well, the disc also doesn’t boast much by way of replay value, but for each interval of listening, it will satisfy indefinitely. If you dig any of the other headliners in this currently fashionable popular-indie genre (DCFC, Decemberists, Arcade Fire), Matt Pond PA better be the author of the next Mp3 to pop up when you shuffle your iPod library. Very right for a season known as Fall, and very worthy of your time on every account. You might just find yourself relating to Matt’s intriguing musical perspective of veiled optimism, or maybe you’ll just think I’m an over-analytical bastard. Regardless, check it out.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
02:42 PM on 11/30/05
SwishMX48
In December, drinkin' Horchata
User Info.
The second my roomate and I heard this cd we both agreed its a great soundtrack for the fall....true, it doesn't really have a standout track, but every song has something that makes it worthwhile...good review of a solid album...
02:52 PM on 11/30/05
godzillany
godzillany
User Info.
I highly agree with what you wrote except I think this album has too much replay value. Since I got it a few weeks before it came out it hasnt left my stereo since. I'm actually listening to it right now. I'm addicted, i keep trying to listen to other stuff but i always go back to this cd. I'm so addicted that I went out and got every other cd of his I could get my hands on. I also had the pleasure to meet him a few weeks ago and he's a really delightful guy.

I cant recommend this cd enough.
02:54 PM on 11/30/05
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by SwishMX48
The second my roomate and I heard this cd we both agreed its a great soundtrack for the fall....true, it doesn't really have a standout track, but every song has something that makes it worthwhile...good review of a solid album...
Thank you sir, Welcome to the boards!

Godzillany, that's interesting... i feel i need time in between listens. Thanks for the feedback though, i'm glad to hear your perspective.
02:54 PM on 11/30/05
JunkBondTrader
Judas seems sincere...
User Info.
good album
03:37 PM on 11/30/05
ajp7485
word.
User Info.
yup, solid album, is sounds different from their other albums in that it has more of an indie sound rather than the soft rock alternative sound, i saw them a few weeks ago and they sound great live too
05:00 PM on 11/30/05
godzillany
godzillany
User Info.
Oh by the way, I forgot to state earlier that your review was very well written. Keep up the good work.
05:12 PM on 11/30/05
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by godzillany
Oh by the way, I forgot to state earlier that your review was very well written. Keep up the good work.
Thanks so so so much bro! Don't forget to add your own opinion to the user ratings section, let everyone know what you think!
05:15 PM on 11/30/05
makebelieve327
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. Each of the last ten or so times I have entered a music store I have picked this CD up and contemplated buying it. Next time I definately will.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos