AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 10
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9.75
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.33
Musicianship 6.29
Lyrics 6.21
Production 6.5
Creativity 6.08
Lasting Value 6.54
Reviewer Tilt 6.67
Average: 64%
Inside AP.net

Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (04/15/09)
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
Record Label: 4AD Records
Release Date: April 21, 2009

Who?

Scotland's finest classic pop practitioners are back with their fourth album My Maudlin Career, their first since signing with the legendary indie label 4AD.

How Is It?

If life is like the proverbial box of chocolates, Camera Obscura's music is like a box of Lindor dark chocolate truffles - you know exactly what you're going to get, but that doesn't make each piece any less delectable. Purveyors of pristine pop, Camera Obscura are nothing if not consistent, but are most amazing in their ability to outdo themselves each time out, taking the same game to new heights. Their stellar last album Let's Get Out of This Country set a high water mark, but this band has continually proven themselves up for the challenge of producing worthy follow-ups, and that unblemished track record isn't tarnished in the least by My Maudlin Career.

The band's sound hasn't changed at all since their last release - Camera Obscura sound like they could have fallen out a time machine and are hardly comparable to any other current recording acts. While Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi drew some inevitable comparisons to Belle and Sebastian, the production on their later albums has trended in a more retro direction, making such references less justifiable. The vocals of Tracyanne Campbell have likewise undergone a slight transformation since that first full-length, from understated and somewhat deadpanned to much more expressive and carrying a dreamy quality, seemingly in imitation of classic early-60's crooners, in keeping with the band's musical approach.

With the departure of founding member John Henderson prior to recording Let's Get Out of This Country, Campbell took sole possession of the lead vocals and retains it for My Maudlin Career. Over time, she has refined and perfected her art and is in complete control of these songs, turning in her best performance yet. While even with the band's earlier work, it would take the coldest of hearts not to be melted by her childlike charm, she's on a whole new level here. One listen to the title track is all it takes to be suspended in slack-jawed wonder at the startling ease with which Campbell can break your heart with the slightest inflection, rendering the lyrics a mere formality. I've heard better technical singers, sure, but I can't recall ever having been held at a vocalist's mercy in quite this way before.

Lyrically, Camera Obscura seem to look the past as well. It's apparently much less cool to be a sailor or to be smitten with a sailor today than it was in say 1960, since no one makes music or movies about that anymore, but Campbell seems oblivious to this fact, lamenting the squid she couldn't hang onto in "French Navy." On "The Sweetest Thing," she sings "I'm going on a date tonight!" over background "ooh-ooh-oohs." I'm guessing it's to the drive-in picture show. I'm not sure what it is about these songs that makes me smile in spite of myself. It can't be nostalgia, since I'm not nearly old enough for these songs to bring me back to my youth, so I think the music is just inherently charming. I'd recommend giving a listen to opener "French Navy," and if you're not the least bit enchanted, go ahead and put the Cattle Decapitation CD back in.

With their latest album, indie pop's most consistent performers have delivered a winner once again, bringing us another helping of their stunning blend of classic Motown and blue-eyed soul. Throughout their career, they have continuously honed and mastered their now-singular style, and with every melodic turn and vocal accent on My Maudlin Career sounding perfectly calculated, yet natural, they seem to have reached that point where it's hard to imagine them topping this record. Then again, that's what I thought last time.

Recommended If You LikeCamera Obscura's Let's Get Out of This Country
She and Him's Volume 1
Dusty Springfield's A Girl Called Dusty
The Supremes' Where Did Our Love Go
Time Life's Malt Shop Memories and Prom Night compilations

Check out Camera Obscura on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
01:41 PM on 04/15/09
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
Nice review. Quite like it so far.
11:15 PM on 04/15/09
HometownHero
User Info.
I really want to hear this. Great review man
11:17 PM on 04/15/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
So good. French Navy is instant bliss.
11:29 PM on 04/15/09
jimboj917
Jim!
User Info.
yea, really like this album, they really stay true to themselves.
01:16 AM on 04/16/09
xburningcoffin
User Info.
Excellent album, cannot stress this enough!
02:37 AM on 04/16/09
isles
go to dallas and take a left.
User Info.
'Scotland's finest classic pop practitioners'?

i think you are forgetting belle & sebastian.
03:41 AM on 04/16/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Love this album as well.
06:39 AM on 04/16/09
imageinsight
User Info.
Great review...I just recently got turned on to CO and I absolutely love them. I think it is also for the nostalgia...even though I can not relate.
11:43 AM on 04/16/09
Cal50
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album bores me, sorry :\
06:45 PM on 04/16/09
MADSTA
~
User Info.
James = <3
11:32 PM on 04/16/09
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
Wow I had no idea these guys were Scottish. So many good bands seem to be emerging here.
09:22 AM on 04/17/09
Rest_Easy
accidentally on purpose
User Info.
Love this band. I got into them when they released an ep I think 2 years ago? Forget the name but I loved it. Psyched to get this new album and the review has made me... more psyched-er.
01:59 AM on 05/24/09
windmillninja
You changed the rules.
User Info.
Judging from the Member Average, either there's a significant lack of respectable musical taste among AP members, or most are too dumb to realize the ratings scroll all the way down to 10.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums